Wednesday, October 1, 2008

New Camera!!



I have been walking around my yard trying to find things to take pictures of with my brand new Canon EOS 40D SLR camera!!! Julie, you were so very correct in saying that it is great to have one of these cameras. I need alot of practise though, I will be taking many more walks around the countryside trying to get the hang of all the different settings. I spent most of Monday reading the instruction manual and then I had to work yesterday,sigh, so started out this morning wandering around looking for things close by to take pics of. Here are a couple of macro shots, with the auto settings on the camera, I haven't been brave enough (or smart enough) to try setting the manual stuff yet.

3 comments:

Julie Cortens said...

Congratulations on the new addition to the family. I know you are going to have lots of fun. I zoomed in on these macro shots - very nice detail. Fun eh?
Seriously though - put it in manual and then adjust the shutter speed and the aperture until the light meter tells you it is properly exposed. That's the basics. Then play, play, play.
Here is a link to an explanation of f-stop. It is kind of long and complicated - but save it and reread it down the road.
http://www.uscoles.com/fstop.htm

Julie Cortens said...

Cheryl I have found THE site for you. FREE beginner photography lessons from Michael Andrew - AND he teaches them using his...are you ready?...Canon 40D
http://www.michaelthementor.com/

Enjoy! this guy is great and a very good teacher.

Cheryl said...

Thanks Julie, I will try out that site and I already took some pics of my phone in the kitchen trying out your advice of just setting the shutter speed and aperture until the light meter says it is okay, it took me 5 tries but I got a great pic at the end!!! I must go walking tomorrow and see what I can see. thanks for the support!