Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My Early Beginnings as a scrapbooker

If any of you have been reading the blog of the old Simply Scrapbooking team, they are writing about their beginnings as scrapbookers. And on the forum at Just Cre8, there is a question about how long have you been scrapping and what kind of scrapper are you. So I thought today that I would be brave and show some of my beginning pages on my blog and talk abit about how I got started in this wonderful hobby. So here it goes!

This is the very first page I ever did as an offical scrapbooker. I had come back from our trip to Mexico with alot of photos and I wanted to put them in an album so that others could see how much fun we had while there. I had heard many things about how bad the magnetic albums were for your photos so didn't really want to put them in one of those albums. One day I walking through the mall and there was a table set up in the center walkway and they were asking people if they were interested in taking a beginner scrapbooking class. It was a promo for one of the LSS's. I signed up and took my required 6 photos relating to 1 subject and that, my friends was the very start!! I look back at these pages and smile but when I read the journalling I remember all the things that we did and I love reliving those fun times.



























We had some photos taken by a professional photographer at a restaurant that we went to for supper one night and they probably should have been on page by themselves, I would do that now, but they are okay like this as well



As you can see, I tried to get as many photos that related to each other on the same page!! I remember bringing back about 15 rolls of film that got developed and for some reason I thought that all the photos, good or bad, had to be on those pages!! I have learned so much since then. But I can definitely track my progress as both a scrapper and a photographer by looking through my old albums. I figured if the gals over at write.click.scrapbook could put their beginning pages on here, so could I!!!







So, after I finished up our Mexico album, I thought it would be nice to go back and take the photos out of the magnetic albums I had put them in and redo them in an acid free one. About this time, I had been invited to a Creative Memories party and bought a starting kit to try out that method. I sort of liked it, but it wasn't exactly what I wanted to do. However, there were some aspects of it that appealed to me.



























These are a few of the pages I did for our family Disney trip. We had taken this trip in Jan 1988 and I had put the photos into an album but there wasn't much journalling to go with them. I had to really strain my brain to come up with what we did while there.



























So here is a page that I did yesterday. It pretty much shows what I do now as far as a method. I am doing way more handwritten journalling than I used to, I used to use the computer for almost all of my journalling but decided that unless I needed to tell a lengthy story, it was far more convenient to handwrite what I needed to! I don't tend to use alot of embellishments, mostly flowers and buttons usually. sometimes I will try something new, but then I will find myself going back to my tried and true methods!! so this has been a really long post but I hope you enjoyed reading my story and looking at my first pages and seeing my progress as a scrapper!


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh wow, you've come a long way! lol. I love looking at the first pages people made. Sooooooo different than your current pages. :P

I'm glad you posted yours and played along. It's kind of fun to look back, isn't it? And really, no matter what products or techniques you used on the your first LOs, the stories and photos on those pages will be appreciated by your family for years and years to come.

Julie Cortens said...

Haha!! You've come a log way baby!
Remember when we felt we had to cut every picture with fancy scissors? I remember cutting people out. Remember all those stickers?
I posted my first pages a while back at http://cortens.blogspot.com/search/label/first%20pages

Thanks for sharing - really enjoyed this post.

Sheryl said...

Hey Cheryl, good for you posting your first LO's.I would be concerned if your style hadn't changed.lol. I know we look at our stuf and sometimes think "what was I thinking" but I know when others look at our pages they see the memories.Great job. Thanks for visiting my blog and leaving me some love.

Esther said...

Thanks so much for stopping by my blog. It's such fun to get comments and meet new people.

I love your scrapbooking pages. Looking at them might give me a kickstart into getting back into scrapbooking. I haven't done it for ages, but that' the problem with having so many interests.

Actually this weekend I was going to try making a moneybox out of a cream of tartar container I had found today, using scrapbooking paper etc. So maybe instead of just thinking about it, I'll have to do it and post about it. Stay tuned.